Software Developer – Ruby and/or Python (Brookhaven, NY)
- Well regarded Technology Firm is seeking a Software Developer to be part of a small team responsible for building Dynamic Web Applications.
- This Developer is expected to have a strong Web Development background and a proven ability to work across all tiers of an application (Backend, Frontend, API Layer, etc...).
- This is not purely a PHP programming position. We need a Developer who is skilled enough to manage large scale applications. Developers who have other skills but have PHP experience are acceptable but having only PHP experience this is a non-starter.
- Must have experience with full lifecycle development in a modern dynamic language (Must have xperience with Ruby on Rails or experience with Python and some hands-on exposure to Ruby on Rails)
- Experience building dynamic websites with frameworks such as Rails, Sinatra, Django, etc.
- Ability to create modular, object oriented code that is clear, maintainable and utilizes design patterns and other best practices.
- Strong data modeling and database skills including experience with an RDBMS (MySQL preferred) as well as NoSQL data stores (MongoDB, Redis, Riak, HBase, etc.).
- Strong Unix skills (Linux/FreeBSD/Mac OS X preferred).
- Experience with agile development methodologies including rapid prototyping, test driven development (TDD, BDD), continuous integration, etc.
- Experience designing and implementing API's and service components using REST, RPC, messaging, etc.
- Experience configuring web servers and application deployment environments (Apache httpd, nginx, Tomcat, Capistrano, etc.).
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS templating with HAML, Compass/SASS, Less, or similar frameworks.
- Experience with XML, XSLT, XPath.
- The ideal candidate will have knowledge and experience with test driven development techniques.
- The ideal candidate will have knowledge of "NoSQL" databases (databases other than just MySQL, Oracle, Sybase…).
- Experience Hadoop and related technologies (HBase, Pig, Hive, Flume, etc.) is a plus
- Some experience with semantic web standards and related tools is a plus
- The ideal candidate will have experience with a variety of programming languages and methods, e.g. java, lisp…
- Solid English communication skills, oral and written are an absolute must
This is a permanent, full time position (NOT a contract). Please do not apply (or refer) unless authorized to work in the US.
All candidates must be either US Citizens or US Permanent Residents
All candidates MUST be local to Brookhaven, NY
Please do not apply if you are not local, even if you would pay your own relocation.
Relocation is NOT offered.